Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Music In Us.

So, a few weeks ago when we had our music lecture, we talked about how the certain types of music that you listen to the most have been correlated with certain personality traits. That got me thinking a little bit. To what extent do our personalities influence our music choices? And what about the influence of music on our personalities? I definitely think it's a bit of both and then some. I think about the times when I've listened to music that I didn't like at all. It just didn't RESONATE with me, and left me feeling off-ish. Music definitely affects us.


But we also affect music, in that we choose what we consume and produce. And in a way, I think that over time and repeated exposure, the cycle of music-affects-personality-affects-music, etc., influences and becomes a part of who we are. A part of us. I'm reminded of the old MormonAd....

Have you ever heard "you are what you eat"? GROSS!!!!
  For me, this lecture was a reminder that I should be more aware about what music and lyrics I listen to on a day-to-day basis, because it does have an affect. We are made of what we consume. Would you eat a cockroach in a Sundae??

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you! I hate the cockroach in my Sundae!! Also the music I listen to definitely fits each aspect of my personality: movie soundtracks, Jon Schmidt, but I also have some favorite bands that I love to listen to and the Mormon Tabernacle choir.

    ReplyDelete