Saturday, March 2, 2013

Interesting Pinterest-ing

I love Pinterest, for many reasons. Having the convenience of putting all brilliant ideas in one space and NOT LOSING THEM? Bonus! (I tend to lose things a lot!) But yet, I'm not addicted, and I never have been. Maybe it's just not my personality. Or maybe it's because I haven't planned a wedding yet (because I'm definitely using it to help me!) I hear people talk about how they're addicted, and I know that it could happen to me. I need to be careful. 


I love that we have social networks that allow us to connect with people and share ideas. For me, I love home decor and making spaces look good, so for me Pinterest is golden! Or so I thought. Lately I've been having second thoughts. Yes, think that Pinterest has a wealth of great ideas. BUT, what does it do for people, really? Do they end up doing the countless projects that they pin? What about all the fashion posts, the cool hair posts, the motivational get-in-shape posts--do they help? I almost think that "Pinterest-ing", if used improperly, could easily turn into a rabbit-hole of unfulfilled wants, and possibly make us more and more unsatisfied with what we already have. In class, we learned that the more kids watched T.V. and the more exposed they were to advertisements, the more materialistic they were. Could this also apply to sites like Pinterest? I'm still deciding what I think about it.

5 comments:

  1. I definitely see this as a potential issue. We pin so many pretty things and then when we try to make them happen we fall short. It's so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally agree with what you are saying. I love pinterest but that is something I wouldn't miss if I didn't have it. I have seen it used improperly and the problems it can create. It is easy to look at it and think of all the things you don't have or where you haven't been or what you can't make. It could be a big problem if used improperly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, I totally get what you are saying! It's for this very reason that I rarely get on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Pinterest, probably more than I should for the very reason you are talking about. I get on an pin recipes I know I will never make because it fulfills a weird need I have to feel like a chef but it usually only ends up making me disappointed in what I'm actually going to be eating for dinner that night on a college kids salary. The idea of Pinterest is awesome but it can definitely become something that causes more problems than it solves if used obsessively or for the wrong reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a love/hate relationship with Pinterest. I feel like I might be the abusive boyfriend in this situation though...I only get on Pinterest when I am bored...only use it until I get bored again, and then I never really go back and look at the things that I pinned before.

    ReplyDelete