Saturday, January 26, 2013

Phantom of the Opera!!


Alright, Phantom was way too good for me not to blog about it. I got to go see BYU's production on Friday night. Having just seen Phantom on Broadway this Thanksgiving, I was expecting an OK college-level performance. But I was blown away by the skill of all the main actors, and I found myself drawn into the story, once again. One thing I love about live theater is that each time you watch a play, you are seeing the one and only of that play, because it will never be done exactly the same again. I also love the freedom that actors have to depict their characters, because I find that every actor brings out a new side of each character that I had never thought of before. I also need to say, I think the Phantom's voice was AMAZING. Too bad he just proposed to his girlfriend ;) Ok, totally kidding. But my sister was disappointed when she heard that.

Now for some analysis. I thought that content was good, because I find that whenever I go to a show like this, I feel inspired, and I feel a little bit of that wonder that our friend Dr. Wesch was talking about. I think the wonder comes from seeing such a polished, high quality performance, no doubt the result of countless hours spent in preparation for the show. I think that shows such as Phantom could have a great impact for good by inspiring people, and especially young kids, to work on their talents, whatever those talents may be. With enough consistent hard work, dreams can come true. However, you have to have a dream before you shoot for it, and I think that the magic produced by Phantom has the potential to create such a vision within a person.

2 comments:

  1. I heard this is a FABULOUS production! Wish I could go see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous that you got to go see this! I was stupid and gave my tickets to my parents instead of selfishly keeping them for myself...

    ReplyDelete